
‘Marchwood’, the 100-acre homestead property of T. Howard, was advertised for sale in October 1866.
Just 1.5 miles from Motueka, the property featured a house with seven rooms on the ground floor, three attic rooms, and adjoining dairy, larder and washhouse facilities.
The sale appears to have been unsuccessful. In April 1869, Howard and his wife were still living at Marchwood. Two months later, Howard sold all of his household furniture, informing the public that he was leaving the district.
Ownership of the property remained with the Howards and, over the following years, a succession of tenants leased Marchwood, including Mr Simpson, Colonel Thomas, John Limmer and Joseph Holden.
In January 1887, while Holden occupied the property, a fire destroyed a haystack, cowshed, stables and their contents, including a new chaff cutter, harness and a quantity of roof shingles intended for the house. The fire was believed to have started when a grandson of Holden, who had been entrusted with carrying matches home, set fire to the haystack.
Two years later, in October 1889, another fire struck, this time completely destroying the house. The blaze started in the kitchen. Occupants Mr C. Eden and his wife were sitting in the lounge when they heard a roaring noise. When they opened the door, they found the kitchen engulfed in flames.
Although they managed to save furniture from several rooms, the house was destroyed. The building was insured, but its contents were not. A replacement house was later built.
By 1915 the property was owned by Henry Percy Knyvett and his wife Louisa. Henry died in February 1921 and Louisa continued living at Marchwood.
In 1935, Louisa agreed to allow Motueka’s first A&P Show to be held on the Marchwood grounds. Extensive preparations were undertaken and the annual show was staged there for the next two years.
Following Louisa’s death in March 1936, a deputation from the Motueka A&P Association approached the Government seeking assistance to acquire Marchwood Park for public use.
The proposal was referred to the Minister of Lands, but progress was slow. In June 1940, trustees of the Knyvett estate called for tenders to purchase the park, but with hostilities in Europe under way, any sale was effectively put on hold.
Discussion resumed in late 1943 when the Motueka A&P Association renewed efforts to purchase the property as a permanent showground.
By early 1944, momentum was building. A deposit of £200 had been paid and a sale agreement forwarded to lawyers.
Marchwood offered several advantages as a permanent showground. Centrally located, it contained valuable native trees that provided excellent shelter. The purchase price of £1200 for about 36 acres of land and a dwelling was considered favourable.
To raise the outstanding balance, the Motueka district was canvassed for support. The association believed the benefits far outweighed any drawbacks, arguing that annual shows would help improve the quality of livestock throughout the district.
By 1945, Marchwood Park had been secured as the property of the Motueka A&P Association and the wider public.